[ExI] Science fiction artwork by Simon Stalenghag

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri May 8 21:24:31 UTC 2015

John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> , 8/5/2015 9:14 AM:

I love the eerie mixing of our world and the machines that will exist in coming decades...

The robot streetpunk is very disturbing...

http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Coming decades? This is Sweden in the 80s!

Actually, yes. Simon Stålenhag draws scenes that are picture perfect of rural Sweden in the early 1980s... plus robots, dinosaurs and weird science, of course. His book "Ur Varselklotet" ( http://frialigan.se/produkt/ur-varselklotet-simon-stalenhag/ ) contains, besides his images, texts about growing up as a kid in the shadow of the weird technology. It is only of my favourite books.  For somebody of my age it is chillingly nostalgic, although I never had to deal with the neutrino outlets from the local accelerator, or had a buddy steal an agricultural telepresence robot.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University