[ExI] Fungi eat plastic and can survive without oxygen; may clean ocean and landfills

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri May 8 23:12:01 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Tara Maya
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2015 11:59 AM
To: rafal at smigrodzki.org; ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Fungi eat plastic and can survive without oxygen; may clean ocean and landfills

>…I’ve often speculated that the huge layer of trash we are leaving around the earth is going to be the buried resource of some future species, much as the rainforests that turned into coal and oil are a resource for us.

Tara Maya

Ja, but it might wreck an idea I had for sequestration of carbon (if we decide that is a good idea to do that.)  I had the notion of turning excess carbon into stable polymers (such as PVC) that nothing has evolved to devour.  Sounds like once again, life has figured out a way to utilize all available resources.