[ExI] words

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:07:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM, William Flynn Wallace <
> foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Spike - I am going to run this by you because I don't want to get into
>> trouble.  Is this flaming?  I am a bit more than upset by such a primitive
>> example of lack of social intelligence by Rafa.
>> ---------------------------
>> A term was used in a derogatory sense by one of our members in a recent
>> post, 'leftoids',
>>
>> I think that this is just the worst sort of overgeneralization -
>> stereotyping.  I think that this is not worthy of the intelligence of the
>> members of this group as I have observed.
>>

> ### Would you mind explaining how using the term "leftoid" is
> stereotyping? Also, what's wrong with stereotyping? Is it a stereotype if
> it's true?
>
> Rafał

​A stereotype by definition overgeneralizes, attributing characteristics to
an entire group that only apply to some of the group.  Thus a stereotype
cannot be true.

All blacks who drive Mercedes are not drug dealers - some are CPAs - and
people who point at them and assume they are crooks are stereotyping.

Would I as a leftist ever say "All those on the right believe...."?  Never
never never.

bill w​