[ExI] What would an IQ of 500 or 1000 look like?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon May 25 05:00:37 UTC 2015

Modern IQ scores are based on standards of deviation, so you would need to
factor in the range and rarity of human intelligence, which is probably
upper bounded by human biology. So to answer your question you need to see
how rare IQ's of 500 or 1000 are respectively. Assuming the IQ test is
defined where each standard deviation is 15, then an IQ of 145 is 3
standards of deviation above the mean, and accordingly the chance of
someone having an IQ of 145 or higher has a z-score of 3, which has a
probability of one in (according to the below calculator) 741.
https://www.fourmilab.ch/rpkp/experiments/analysis/zCalc.html

The calculator breaks down above a z-score of 6, which has a probability of
1 in ~10 billion, corresponding to an IQ > 180. An IQ of 1,000 would have a
z-score of 26.667, and an IQ of 1000 would be a z-score of 60. So we must
ask, out of 10^20 or 10^30 naturally born humans how smart would that
smartest human out of those ~10^30 be?

Here's what something with an IQ of 2005 looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gjcO0PTRxw :-)

Jason