[ExI] crisper children

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:11:40 UTC 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 06:45, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> The sooner, the better?

One obvious problem -  What are you going to do with all the 'faulty'
children created?

The other big problem is that in normal humans genes massively
interact. You can get single genes that cause diseases, which CRISPR
editing could cure. But for overall performance you need to analyse
thousands of gene interactions.
e.g. for high IQ there is no single gene responsible.
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289614001676>

The genetics of high intelligence

Quote:
For these reasons, we conclude that high intelligence is familial,
heritable, and caused by the same genetic factors responsible for the
normal distribution of intelligence. Stated more provocatively, high
intelligence as we defined it appears to be nothing more than the
quantitative extreme of the same genetic factors responsible for
normal variation.

The current hype about CRISPR gene editing is causing a lot of
discussion among the ethics thinkers.

BillK