[ExI] crisper children

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Nov 12 15:03:27 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-12 14:24, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

>     The current hype about CRISPR gene editing is causing a lot of
>     discussion among the ethics thinkers.
>

> ### I am an ethics thinker and I endorse CRISPER (if done with proper
> liability insurance).

Professional bioethicists are indeed debating the topic. See for example
this week's Nature,
http://www.nature.com/news/crispr-a-path-through-the-thicket-1.18748
which recounts some fairly moderate and sensible recommendations (I know
a few of the authors). The tricky part is not whether one endorses the
technology, but how one explains why a particular application is a good
one to the rest of society, funding bodies, and legal professionals. It
is not enough to have an opinion, one needs to express it well too.

Rafals original question: I roughly agree with the guess, but I put a
fairly broad confidence interval around the dates, especially late
dates. This is an application that like gene therapy could get delayed
by 15 years just by an early setback.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute