[ExI] Morphological freedom and its limits

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Nov 16 02:24:46 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-16 01:02, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> what are your views on
> > how to draw lines about what modifications are "right" or "wrong"?
>
> Whatever restrictions are put in place, someone and somewhere else
> will ignore them the way Americans have to go overseas to get certain
> treatments and drugs.
This misses the point entirely. I suppose you do not think US crimes
(say torturing people for fun) that are legal in some shady place are
less immoral because they are legal over there, nor because US people
could go there to indulge? It might not be possible to stop it, but
morally you would say it would be better if it did not happen.

(Sorry, but conflating legal and ethical gets my goat).

What I am looking at is ethical views in the transhumanist community on
what enhancements or modifications should be done. Is trepanation OK to
do, despite the nonexistent scientific support for it being good - and
if it is OK, why? What about replacing my personality with another one?
What about replacing my consciousness with something entirely different
but consciousness-like?

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute