[ExI] [Bulk] Crow intelligence

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:39:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Yesterday, one of the kids had a superball.  He bounced it high, the gulls
> caught it, which was not so remarkable, but what happened next was
> astonishing.  He flew about with it, then dropped it near the kids on the
> pavement.  It bounced around, the birds took it again, flew upward with it
> and dropped it again as the kids cheered them on.  The gulls appeared to be
> playing with the ball, and possibly teasing the kids.  Then it bounced off
> the pavement into the grass.  The gulls retrieved the ball, flew up and
> bounced on the pavement again.  It just looked like the gull version of the
> reindeer games that Olive (the other reindeer) excluded poor Rudolph from
> playing.
>
> I didn't get video of that.  So now I hope to get a superball and see if I
> can get them to do that again.

I just read about coywolf last night:
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes

While not exactly an intelligence display, It's interesting how
evolution combines the features from two different animals to make a
more-fit creature for the current environment.

If you haven't read about Moscow's subway dogs:
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes