[ExI] CRISPR and Gene Drives

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 10:06:00 UTC 2015

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

"The engineered organisms could upset the delicate balance of an ecosystem"

Of course. This is why we need to learn to engineer not only genomes,
but entire ecosystems and meta-ecosystems.

At some point, we'll have to recognise the fact that ecosystems, just
like genomes, are not sacrosanct, that they evolved in the usual
haphazard way that everything does, and that we have already been
mucking about with them for ages, and can potentially do a much better
job of it. The very phrase 'delicate balance' is telling (although I
suspect that natural ecosystems are not anywhere near as delicate as
many people would have us think).

Just as we need more robust, adaptable and controllable bodies and
genomes, we need more robust, adaptable and controllable ecosystems.
We'd better get cracking and start learning how to design them.

I expect though, that by the time we can do that we'll also be
engineering many millions of virtual ecosystems too (and bodies, and
minds), and most people will be inhabiting them, leaving biology behind
as a niche occupation of a few enthusiasts. But you never know, we might
need biology for a lot longer than many of us expect, so it would be
prudent not to leave it to chance.

Ben Zaiboc