[ExI] sign along spokane river

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 20:12:19 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 6:11 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS.  I believe the requirement for immigrants to know English (or the
> weird variant that Americans speak) :) is only required for
> naturalization. You can be a non-English speaking immigrant so long as
> you don't apply for citizenship.

And technically it doesn't apply to people born within the borders of the
US.  How many of said children grow up never speaking English at home, and
thus having a difficult time learning functional English in school (or as
working adults if effectively homeschooled) is not a statistic that I have
on hand; many demagogues complain that this is a significant number, but
that seems unlikely.

And/or, they're complaining about immigrants that learned basically only
the words needed for naturalization and, once they passed that check,
forgot even that.