[ExI] [Bulk] Alcor, California, and the right to die

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 16:26:48 UTC 2015

On 6 October 2015 at 16:52, spike  wrote:
> Correction, Quartzsite is inside Arizona.  Blythe CA is a few miles west of
> there over the CA stateline.  Short version: I was on a motorcycle trip in
> 1987 to see my former college roommate who lived in the Phoenix area.  Going
> east on Interstate 10, nothing but vast open desert, very little traffic so
> I was letting the bike do what bikes do so well out there.  I was coming up
> on Quartzsite AZ, see a semi truck pulled over on the westbound side, driver
> outside his rig which was on fire.  As I came up on it, the flames broke
> free and billowed up high from his trailer, which is something one seldom
> gets to witness.  I let off of the throttle, moved to the right lane, slowed
> to about 50 miles an hour, when a car came blasting past me, missing me by
> inches.  He was also looking to his left at the fire, didn’t even see me.
> That could have been the end of the road for the old Spikester right there
> out in Quartzsite AZ.

Everybody that has been a motorcyclist has stories of dicing with
death and narrow escapes. Those who don't are no longer with us.

I never actually broke any bones, though once I was unconscious and
was taken to hospital for a checkup, just in case. Another incident
only caused a few bruises, but resulted in a long drive home without a
clutch cable, trying to avoid stop signs and having to change gear
without using the clutch. :)
Ohhh, those crazy days of youthful enthusiasm!

BillK