[ExI] IQ and beauty

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Oct 19 08:47:00 UTC 2015

OK, I have not followed this discussion closely, but a cursory look
showed me these papers:

Sexual selection may be OK in some environments but not others
(extensive discussion on the elk example)
http://www.kokkonuts.org/p/Sexy2die4.pdf

Some evidence sexual selection increases extinction risk in birds, but
it might be a double-edged tool:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3545671?&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

No evidence sexual selection affects extinction rates in mammals:

Sexual selection (at least in beetles) protects against accumulating
mutational load:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v522/n7557/full/nature14419.html

My guess, after this scan and noting biologists still disagree ten years
after the initial papers, is that the effect is not clear-cut at all.

On 2015-10-19 03:22, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 6:09 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 18, 2015  Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
> <mailto:rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>  you say it's in the bible, it's your job to quote chapter and verse.
> >
> > I don't have a bible, but maybe the October 28 1982 issue of Nature
> pages 818 to 820 will do,
>
> For those who prefer a URL, see:
>
> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v299/n5886/abs/299818a0.html
>
> The article is titled 'Female choice selects for extreme tail length
> in a widowbird.'
>
> This will only do for the species in question. Also, this is an extant
> species. How would this prove the case that sexual selection drove
> another species -- e.g., the Irish Elk -- to extinction?
>
> > if not try
> > page 201 of Richard  book "The Blind Watchmaker".
>

> The link is:
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=sPpaZnZMDG0C&q=201#v=snippet&q=201&f=false
>
> This merely tells what sexual is in lay terms. It doesn't present an
> actual example of a species going extinct from sexual selection.
>
> >> Also, I already provided links to articles arguing against your
> position.
> >

> > You provided no links that say a peacocks tail aids in a individuals
> survival or is aerodynamic or does anything other than help in finding
> a mate.
> > You did provided 3 links and you were correct when you said "
> > All three point towards sexual selection as generally increasing the
> likelihood of species survival
> > ". Well...how could it be otherwise? I
> > f it did not then either sexual selection or species would have
> disappeared long long ago, it has not so sexual selection must
> generally increasing the likelihood of species survival
> > . QED.
> >
> > However the key word is "generally" and that means there are
> exceptions, and that means that sexual selection can cause Evolution
> to make mistakes as it did with the ridiculous antlers of the Irish
> Elk and drive the species into extinction.
>
> That's still a speculation with regard to the Irish Elk. There are
> many theories of why it went extinct. Why is not possible that range
> reduction and hunting by humans played a much bigger role here than
> merely having supersized antlers? (If we're going to go back to the
> 1980s, e.g., check out this article:
> http://www.sciencemag.org/content/228/4697/340 -- 'Taphonomy and Herd
> Structure of the Extinct Irish Elk, Megaloceros giganteus.' Note what
> the abstract states: adult males with small antlers seemed to have
> died during winter segregation from females. What might that imply, if
> true, about big antlers having an impact on survival?)
>
> >>  Because off-the-cuff anthropomorphic psychologizing doesn't
> rigorously (i.e. mathematically)
> >

> > Evolution will never be totally as rigorous as some other sciences
> because it depends
> [...]

Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute
Oxford Martin School