[ExI] can seti have marcy?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:37:10 UTC 2015

On 19 October 2015 at 18:10, rex wrote:
> Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> [2015-10-19 02:15]:
>> The must unfair aspect is that it is random: most of the time people say and
>> do stupid or evil things and nothing happens, but occasionally it blows up.
>> This kind of random punishment schedule is far more frightening and unfair
>> than one that was proportional and reliable.
>
> But "unfair" may be the least-cost solution (cf "variable
> reinforcement"), so which should we choose?

'Unfair' is rather strange. It is almost impossible to raise a
complaint against a faculty member in academia. Faculty are all
powerful. One word from them and undergrads careers are ruined.
See the response from UC Berkeley, who had great difficulty in
bypassing the normal years that it takes to process a complaint.
<http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/10/14/a-message-about-professor-marcys-resignation/>

The system is certainly unfair to juniors.

BillK