[ExI] Fwd: Re: AI risks

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 22:50:46 UTC 2015

On 6 September 2015 at 21:33, spike  wrote:
> Ja.  Advancing technology gives users increasing power.  Power corrupts.
> Somehow we need to find ways to compensate, to limit the damage corrupted
> power can do.

It strikes me as a pretty complex problem.
On one side you have the techs trying to devise some sort of ethical
AI that won't harm humanity in general. On the other you have humans
deliberately (with collateral damage) trying to harm other humans and
they see AI as a powerful weapon.
I doubt that AI will immediately leap to a godlike status with the
ability to make moral decisions and ignore human orders that it
disagrees with. As AI gradually develops, the temptation to misuse the
developing power will be difficult to resist.

BillK