[ExI] [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Re: AI risks

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 7 04:17:38 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2015 6:29 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Re: AI risks

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 8:58 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>…Now, imagine when self-driving cars become common, and it is easy enough to
pack the trunk full of ammonium nitrate and Diesel, then set it to go drive
over to the local opposing politician's house, park in front and wait for a
call…I don't know how we are going to deal with that problem.

### A car smart enough to drive over should be smart enough to ask why, and to call adults for help if he thinks his owner is up to no good…

Dr. Rafal, we are already at the point of cars driving themselves where they are told to go.  Google has race cars doing that, and has demonstrated that ordinary street machines can do it reliably.  But we are still a long way from cars making ethical decisions, or knowing the contents of their trunks.

>…In fact, the car of the future, being an ethical agent himself, is likely to be much less dangerous than a rifle, which simply obeys orders.  Rafał

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone makes a guided autonomous weapon from a self-driving car in the near-term future, perhaps the next decade.  The explosive could be detonated by phone, and the caller could be informed of the location of the guided weapon using ordinary GPS.  The mobile explosive could be sent out at the leisure of the sender, at 0100 when there is little or no traffic and few witnesses.  They could be sent hundreds of miles away.  This one might be tough to solve.