[ExI] Fwd: Re: AI risks

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Sep 7 23:50:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-08 00:32, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se
> <mailto:anders at aleph.se>> wrote:
>
>     You cannot just set fire to the whole world.
>

> Actually, there's been quite a bit of thought on ways to do just
> that.  Look up "atmospheric ignition".  If you put enough methane or
> grain dust out there, for instance, it might be possible.

For what values of practical? Nukes will not do it, as a certain famous
report pointed out.

The LFL for methane is 4% volume, so you need to add about 1.35e17 kg of
methane to ignite it. This is about 2-3 times the total carbon stored in
the oceans and several times the carbon content of the biosphere. Grain
dust is even less effective, since we are talking about a LFL larger
than 2 kg/m^3 -this is way bigger.

("Anders, what are you doing?"
"Calculating how to set the atmosphere on fire. There has to be a better
way... maybe hydrogen?"
"Remember, we are supposed to *save* the world at this institute."
"Yes, boss.")

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute