[ExI] re end of world

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 23:51:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> What happens is that the new mean intelligence is 150+ (as by the old
> scale), turning into a new normal distribution. (I ran a quick Matlab
> test).
>
> What is going on is that the intelligence is due to a lot of genes adding
> about 1% or less each, so removing the <150 IQ population mainly removes
> some very bad genes and decreases the somewhat bad genes: there is still a
> lot of genetic diversity. So the new mean goes up, but the variance stays
> about the same.
>
> On 2015-09-10 23:15, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM, William Flynn Wallace
>> <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If all people with IQs below 150 became sterile, would the gene pool
>> that
>> > was left eventually create a population averaging 100 IQ?
>>
>> Yes, because the 'average' is 100.  That may be an order of magnitude
>> more capable, it would still be measured as 100.
>>
>> In order words, you would effectively lower the IQ of every survivor,
>>
>> "lies, damned lies, statistics"
>>

> ​ well, yes, I suppose I worded that awkwardly.  What I meant was, would
> the mental ability of the average person who survived eventually regress to
> the mental ability we now call IQ 100?  I don't know enough genetics to
> answer that. bill w​

> --
> Anders Sandberg
> Future of Humanity Institute
> Oxford Martin School
> Oxford University

Rafal Smigrodzki, MD-PhD
Senior Scientist,
Gencia Corporation
706 B Forest St.

Charlottesville, VA 22903

tel: (434) 295-4800

fax: (434) 295-4951

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
biotechnology firm of Gencia Corporation which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that
information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify us by telephone (434-295-4800) or by
electronic mail (fportell at genciabiotech.com) immediately.