[ExI] IQ and beauty

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Tue Sep 15 03:17:14 UTC 2015

Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> [2015-09-14 19:44]:
>    On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM, PJ Manney <[1]pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      When it comes to intelligence, it's the mother's genes that count in
>      boys. They've only got one X chromosome which expresses intelligence.
>      That's why you sometimes see the sons of the wealthy and powerful are as
>      dumb as a sack of hammers, if dear old dad only married for beauty.
>
>    ### You may be referring to a hypothesis outlined in  [2]Lancet. 1996 Jun
>    29;347(9018):1814-5, "Intelligence and the X chromosome",  by Gillian
>    Turner (or do you have other references?)

Here's a free version:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/myl/llog/Turner1996.pdf

A more recent paper:

doi: 10.1101/gr.10.2.157 Genome Res. 2000. 10: 157-163 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press

http://genome.cshlp.org/content/10/2/157.long

Genes for Cognitive Function: Developments on the X

Jozef Gécz1,2,4 and John Mulley1,3

Abstract

Developments in human genome research enabled the first steps toward a
molecular understanding of cognitive function. That there are numerous
genes on the X chromosome affecting intelligence at the lower end of
the cognitive range is no longer in doubt. Naturally occurring
mutations have so far led to the identification of seven genes
accounting for a small proportion of familial nonspecific X-linked
mental retardation. These new data indicate that normal expression of
many more X-linked and autosomal genes contribute to cognitive
function. The emerging knowledge implicating genes in intracellular
signaling pathways provides the insight to identify as candidates
other X-linked and autosomal genes regulating the normal development
of cognitive function. Recent advances in unravelling the underlying
molecular complexity have been spectacular but represent only the
beginning, and new technologies will need to be introduced to complete
the picture.

-rex
--
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan