[ExI] silly 'rules'

Dan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 18:59:23 UTC 2015

On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:40 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 18 September 2015 at 19:28, Dan  wrote:
>> That should've been an "if" as Adrian noted. Also, looking it over, I
>> should've QAed the whole thing.
>>
>> It should've read:
>>
>> "I'm saying one should NOT limit oneself to trying to be like them in terms
>> of writing -- as IF ANYONE writing unlike Hemingway (or unlike a caricature
>> of Hemingway) has missed the boat."
>>
>> Please forgive the confusion. Or call me Entropian. ;)
>

> Do you think modern authors are worse writers now they use word
> processors with spellcheck, autocorrect, grammar checkers, thesaurus
> and formatting? And online fact checks and searches?

I read a book relating that an editor notice a decline in writing quality that he later found coincided with his authors switching to word processors. The book was written in the early 1990s.

I don't know. I haven't seen any data. I'm not old enough to note this in myself -- and it might be a matter of the craftsman blaming the tools.

If anything, it seems from my reading that editors and agents hold writers to a higher standard now. (You can always self-publish, of course.) Finding enough typos in a draft is, from what I've heard, can be ground for rejection. This simply because there's usually a huge backlog anyhow and editors and agents expect you to already have mastered the basics. At least, this is my experience.

Regards,

Dan
 Sample my Kindle books via:
http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Ust/e/B00J6HPX8M/