[ExI] Deceleration mirrors

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 23:07:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> In my "spamming the universe" scheme I looked at enormous coilguns,
> essentially a Dyson sphere with light-second long coilguns (a Dyson
> urchin?) since they also get around the rocket equation. Eric D pointed out
> that lasers would be even more effective, and the lens trick could allow
> focused acceleration for a surprisingly long time.

### Hm, if you can use stationary lasers to accelerate a moving target,
maybe you could use a moving laser or even a non-coherent but directional
light source to decelerate itself? What is the light intensity per kilogram
of laser needed to decelerate a laser at 1 g? How many orders of magnitude
away is it from current specs?

Rafał