[ExI] A Geophysics problem

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Sep 30 04:10:36 UTC 2015

Subject: [ExI] A Geophysics problem

>...Sorry to interrupt the high culture fest...  Keith

Too late Keith, I already did that.

>...I was explaining the electric propulsion from LEO up to GEO to someone
recently and he asked what happens to the 20-25 km/s exhaust.  I mentioned
that it was well above escape velocity and he pointed out that it's being
expended in the Earth's magnetic field.  That field traps particles with a
lot more energy than this exhaust.  I realized that I had no idea what would
happen to the exhaust.  I have asked several people, including a PhD from Ad
Astra Rockets.  So far nobody has an answer...Keith

Interesting question.  Before we go into the mass of the particles, since we
are climbing to GEO, the rocket is pointed east so the exhaust is pointed
west.  Right hand rule, B increases as we point the thumb north, right hand
rule suggests the magnetic field of the earth diverts the stream upward for
positive charged ions and downward for negative.  I think.  I need to ponder
that a while longer please.

Cool, time to break out my old friends, Maxwell's equations.