[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Apr 6 23:30:43 UTC 2016

>… On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016  PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com <mailto:foozler83 at gmail.com> >

​>> ​

there is a big difference between ​the GO program that Google engineers originally wrote and the Go program that beat the human world champion after evolving into something new from playing the game with itself millions of times and learning to get better.

​>

Yes, but isn't it still the programmers' expertise?...

As an illustration of moving goalposts in AI research, consider the words of one of the commentators at the Dartmouth conference “When we write a computer chess program which can defeat the person who programmed it, then we have achieved machine intelligence.”

That was in 1956.  How much that standard has changed.

I have been watching this field since my college days, which was a very long time ago.  The recent progress seems to be doing the classic acceleration we have been waiting for.