[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:16:28 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 2:58 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am still not convinced.  Just because they did not expect the specifics
> they got, did they not expect that?

They expected there would be new specifics.  That is very different from
expecting the specific specifics they got.  Among the differences is that
they don't get to take credit.

> They programmed in the flexibility, the ability to learn etc.  So the
> credit still goes to the programmers, no?

No.

> In other words, did they not predict that the outcomes would be
> unpredictable and depended on the AI's experience?  Just as with people.

Yes.  And just as with people, teachers can predict that their students'
outcomes will not be exactly predictable.  That means the teachers are not
entirely responsible for their students' actions - for what their students
do with the knowledge.  "Not entirely responsible for" includes "do not get
to take full credit for".

> The only difference being that you can start with two identical AIs but
> you cannot with people.

Ah, but you can: identical twins.  Many studies have been done taking
advantage of this.  But even twins get at least slightly different
post-natal experiences.