[ExI] crispr question

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 7 10:35:34 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-07 06:01, spike wrote:

> This CRISPR technology sounds really cool, but I lack the technical
> understanding to know, so I am asking our local hipsters please.
>
> As you understand it and extrapolate to a reasonable estimate of your
> lifespan, have we any reason to think that if we had an organism’s
> complete genome, we could synthesize that file into a DNA strand using
> CRISPR or any other reasonably foreseeable technology?

CRISPR doesn't involve synthesizing strands, just putting in or removing
sequences at particular spots.

Current synthesis mainly make short strands that have to be ligated
together into genomes; this is cumbersome and limits it to short
genomes. However, I have heard that there are technologies emerging that
look like they could build entire human-sized genomes.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute