[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 7 22:28:27 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-07 14:57, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> Before I reply to this thread, please John or someone, answer this;
>
> Is an AI always programmed to take the most likely route to success -
> the highest probability, once it has considered alternative routes?
> People might have other motivations.   (to me, this gets us directly
> into the free will problem, which y'all might not want to repeat)

In the reinforcement learning systems I know the best the actions
undertaken are likely to be best, but there is a chance for
"exploratory" other actions.

As The Book puts it:
https://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~sutton/book/2/node3.html
https://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~sutton/book/2/node4.html

Things get more complex when the action has parts.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute