[ExI] crispr question

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 7 22:40:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-07 17:29, spike wrote:

> Cool, so this leads into my next comment.  We saw that it was 60 years
> between the first marginal chess program to the orders-of-magnitude
> more impressive champion AlphaGo.  We know that cheap technology
> exists in which a prole can get her DNA file.  If a number of siblings
> have that DNA file, they can figure out the genome of their parents,
> and if several cousins compare their genomes, they can piece together
> the genomes of their mutual grandparents, second cousins their great
> grandparents and so on.
> If we could synthesize a DNA strand by some means using a DNA file, we
> could perhaps use it to clone someone who lived a long time ago, given
> sufficient numbers of their descendants have their DNA files.

Remember that each offspring gets 50% of the genome (lets ignore X and Y
chromosomes). So if you have a sibling, you can reconstruct about 75% of
either of your parents. If you have two, 87.5%, and so on. To get all 3
billion base pairs right you need 31 siblings

Going back one generation means you have 25% of (say) grandfather. So
now you need not just a bunch of siblings to build dad's genome (50% of
grandfather), but you need to reconstruct more uncles and aunts (about
31 of them) using 31 children each. This gets tricky fast, if your
family does not breed like rabbits.

Accepting a bit less fidelity (say 90%) just requires two-three siblings
for a parent, and two-three reconstructed uncles (about 6 or 7 starting
people) for grandfather. But for the generation before that you need
around 16 people, then 39, then 97... And in fact, 90% fidelity going
back four generatons is just 65% fidelity.

The challenge is that each time we reproduce, half of the genome is
discarded. Yes, we get a lovely replacement half from our partner, but
information is lost. If things go well it is the less important
information that is lost.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute