[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Apr 9 07:55:36 UTC 2016

Again, it is important to distinguish between the sharply defined
hardness of the TSP (if you can solve generic instances fast, you have
collapsed the P-NP hierarchy) and the less well defined hardness of
getting useful solutions. TSP is NP-hard, but solvers like Concorde can
easily solve big instances (see for instance
https://web.archive.org/web/20160328170659/http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/tsp/sweden/index.html
- 24,978 nodes, and long beaten by real industrial applications).

What matters in the real world is effective approximate solutions, yet
it is far easier to prove the impossibility of exact solutions. This is
why many proofs about AI properties are not that useful compared to
demonstrations.

On 2016-04-08 03:12, Henry Rivera wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 1:01 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> people would love to program a computer so that it has the best chance
> of solving the traveling salesman problem but nobody knows how to do it. ​
>
> I took a massive online course on a related topic where, in an early
> class, we learned Bayesian methods as applied to the traveling
> salesman problem. It was used as an example of code that could applied
> to machine learning. So I'm pretty sure this has been done with
> Bayesian and probably other methods.
> -Henry

Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute