[ExI] nutrition again

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:44:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​Thank you for this.  But the gov must have listened to others than
> Olson.  And the AMA must have had a hand in it somewhere, eh?  And
> associations of heart doctors, and...................

Yeah, like I said, lot's of blame to go around. But it's the government's
premature dietary guidelines that are the real driver. Doctors, sadly,
receive very little nutritional training, and what they do get now is
tainted by the past mistakes.

​I blame all of them and if you want to blame the gov most, I'll not
> disagree.  Now - why are we not having gov inquiries like this on sugar?
> They (who?) got rid of high fructose sugars, but all sugars are to blame,
> no?

Maybe because those who were duped into the low fat ideology don't want to
admit they're wrong. Maybe big agribusiness and big pharma donate large
sums to congresscritters and are happy with the current recommendations.

> Since we now know that Olson was right, it is curious why the proper
> research was not done following the commission's report.  Did the gov
> simply not want to fund such?  Did the medical community decide that the
> facts were in?

Most of the research is funded by the government or big business. The
government hasn't been forthcoming in funding research that challenges the
dietary guidelines. Monsanto/ADM/Phizer/etc are not highly motivated to
publish research that would dramatically cut their profits. Look at the
ADA's stance on diet, which is basically "eat normally (high carb) and take
drugs to control blood sugar". There's big money at stake here if everyone
wakes up realizes that a huge portion of our health care costs would
evaporate if low carb replaced low fat.

"Mistakes were made."  Yeah, apparently by everyone concerned.  In
> addition, I wonder what closed door deals were made.  Surely there were
> some.

Undoubtedly.

This is worth a read:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2015/02/10/the-anointed-know-why-youre-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it/