[ExI] nutrition - phthlates

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 01:06:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Or maybe it's phthlates:
>
> In the past few years, researchers have linked phthalates to asthma
> <http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/sep/17/health-asthma-plastic-pregnancy-children-home-phthalates>,
> attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, breast cancer, obesity and type
> II diabetes, low IQ
> <http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/10/phthalates-damage-childrens-iqs-womb-plastic-chemicals>,
> neurodevelopmental issues, behavioral issues, autism spectrum disorders,
> altered reproductive development and male fertility issues.
> Here's the link to the whole article:
>

> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/10/phthalates-plastics-chemicals-research-analysis
>
> So. to add to our list of possible culprits, Gov., science, Big Food, we
> need to add Big Chem.  They fight every bill to restrict, test, get rid of
> some chemicals we find in our diets without any FDA approval needed because
> they are not foods (I am supposing this - I don't really know if this is
> true).  They may leak into our foods from packaging, from the plastic tubes
> used in dairies (in the article above).

### I don't believe it.  There is not a single link to any trustworthy
studies showing causation. It's all correlational garbage and
hate-mongering against industry. I'll believe it when there are
interventional studies showing a dose-response relationship between
introduced phthalates and pre-specified outcomes, with plausible biological
mechanism of action observed in humans.

Rafał