[ExI] Breakthrough Starshot - To The Stars!

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 10:09:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
> rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But that's not Putting Some Physical Object There (At Least Briefly),
>>> which seems to be the real mission specification, with what you can
>>> actually do with it an afterthought.
>>>
>> ### Well, if you launch a large number of probes flying close together,
>> you could make a deceleration system.
>>

> They said that's not their plan.  They intend to fly by.

### Yes, I know. But their plan could lead to a deceleration system.

---------------------

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
> rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Peak accelerations in handguns are on the order of 30 to 200 thousand g.
>
> That's bullets, without delicate electronics, and where mass is not at
> nearly as much of a premium.  They can be a lot more robust than a
> spaceship.  Also, their acceleration lasts a lot less time.

### The self-guided bullets I wrote about do have electronics. Why would
mass be an issue for robustness under acceleration? We are talking about
micron-thin objects. They tend to stand up to acceleration well. Why would
the duration of acceleration matter for solid-state objects?

Rafał