[ExI] nutrition - phthlates

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:37:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> ### Yeah, exactly, how often has industry resisted regulation of things
> that turned out to be really bad? Can you name examples? (aside from
> tobacco) How many thousands of examples can you adduce? Hundreds? Dozens?
> Compared to how many millions of products that are on the market? How many
> specific examples of substance regulation have unequivocally positive net
> effects on human welfare?

I could name dozens without trying too hard. Tetraethyllead in gasoline is
one obvious example. Two more low-hanging fruit are lead in plumbing and
lead in paint.

> Data are suspect to begin with. Singling out "industry" to be distrusted
> is manipulative.

Except they have a history of selling dangerous products.

> ### We cannot trust anybody, and certainly not government thugs, to
> regulate any industry. "Regulating" is usually a way of attacking workers
> under the pretense of protecting the public, and there is just too much
> money and power to be gained doing that.

I like the UL, formerly Underwriters Laboratories, model of ensuring
product safety. Government isn't involved and rated products are generally
safe.

-Dave