[ExI] Scott Aaronson

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:31:31 UTC 2016

I love this passage:

"if you want me to rush to the Singularity community’s defense, the
way to do it is to tell me that they’re a weirdo nerd cult that
worships a high-school dropout and his Harry Potter fanfiction, so how
could anyone possibly take their ideas seriously?  It’s not just the
invalidity of the ad hominem argument that will turn my eyes
red—rather, it’s that this particular kind of ad hominem (“these nerds
violate our social norms, so we need not consider the truth or
falsehood of what they say”) has had such an abysmal track record over
the centuries."