[ExI] physics

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Apr 25 00:55:45 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-24 17:43, William Flynn Wallace wrote:

>.Say there is a cube of space (in 'outer' space) that has not one single
atom of matter (violating entropy I suppose).  Does this mean that it is not
in some sense 'space'?  Not until some matter is there?

That there is no 'there' there?

BillW, in that example there is a there there.  The matter outside that cube
of space breaks its symmetry, making an inside and an outside.  There's your
there there.

>.Some say our universe is expanding.  Does this mean that some 'potential
space' exists beyond any matter that will become 'space' when some matter
gets there?

This one is crazy hard to understand.  It isn't that there is empty space
and matter is going out into it.  Rather, the space itself is expanding.
You can read a hundred different authors explain that concept and it is
still mind-bending.  But you do need to get your head around it somehow, if
you want to move on.