[ExI] Breakthrough Starshot - To The Stars!

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Apr 25 12:13:31 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-25 08:51, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### I think I was making somewhat different assumptions. I am assuming
> that to get to really crazy speeds, or to hustle larger masses at
> respectable speeds, you will need multiple boost phases from lasers
> positioned along the trajectory of the spacecraft. As you noted, beam
> dispersion prevents very long boost phases from a single laser but
> chaining multiple lasers helps avoid this problem.
>
> But of course if you start boosting from near-Earth orbit and away
> from the Sun, soon you have to use lasers positioned very far away
> from the Sun, and this means not being able to use photovoltaics to
> power them.

Hmm. If you want to achieve velocity V and accelerate during a boost at
acceleration a, you will need time V/a. During this time it will move
over a distance (1/2)at^2 = (1/2)V^2/a. The starshot aims at something
like 60,000 km/s using 2 minutes of 500,000 N/kg acceleration. So it
will move 3,600,000 km during those two minutes.

A diffraction limited beam will have an angle given by lambda/pi w,
where w is the radius at the beam  waist. Assuming an optical beam with
wavelength around 500 nm and a kilometre-sized "launchpad", the angle
becomes on the order of 1.6*10^-10 radians. The Rayleigh length is l =
pi w^2/lambda = 6.28e12 meters, and the radius scales as
w*sqrt(1+(d/l)^2). With for the above numbers become 1000.00016 m. In
short, there is not any serious dispersion to worry about.

A smaller 100 meter launcher has about 16% larger radius at the final
distance. For a ten meter launcher it has expanded to 58 meters, causing
a 33-fold reduction in power.

I guess we may have to handle thermal blooming and other atmospheric
effects that will reduce efficiency significantly, but I don't think we
need an advanced infrastructure in heliocentric space to do this.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute