[ExI] Floating-point math

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Mon Apr 25 13:06:14 UTC 2016

http://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=2913029
The End of (Numeric) Error: An interview with John L. Gustafson

Walter Tichy (best-known for the Revision Control
System) interviews computer arithmetic expert
John Gustafson on his new format for encoding floating point.

I haven't scrutinized it closely but the concept
makes sense. At first glance, he's taking some of
the ideas behind recent Internet data formats and
applying them to number-crunching.

In a nutshell, in the early decades of computing,
each manufacturer had their own way of representing a number like

1.6025698833263803956335865659143 × 10²²³

and using it in calculations. This inconsistency
made it very tedious to be sure that an engineer
or scientist was getting the correct results.
And, therefore, that planes don't crash, we have
accurate weather forecasts, an illness is diagnosed correctly, etc.

The answer was an industry-wide standard, known
as IEEE floating point. But the answer has a few
problems. Gustafson discusses what's wrong and his idea for how to fix it.

-- David.