[ExI] ovary

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sat Aug 6 12:51:48 UTC 2016

Yup. People are doing this more and more.
http://oncofertility.northwestern.edu/resources/ovarian-tissue-cryopreservation-otc
There was a baby born from a frozen ovary in Edinburgh last month:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-36793572

Even more radical is testis cryopreservation, intended to help
prepubertal boys undergoing chemotherapy have a chance of becoming fathers:
http://oncofertility.northwestern.edu/resources/testicular-tissue-cryopreservation
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/31234/InTech-Cryopreservation_of_testicular_tissue.pdf
It works in mice, at least:
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140701/ncomms5320/abs/ncomms5320.html

I am involved in a loose network at Oxford University looking into
cryopreservation - mostly modelling and ethics in my case - and a fair
number of the members are reproductive biologists/doctors.

On 2016-08-06 01:26, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> I read in Discover magazine that a woman facing chemotherapy had one
> ovary removed and cryofrozen to protect the eggs.
>
> I am assuming that this is of interest to some in the group.
>
> bill w

Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute
Oxford Martin School