[ExI] More Tabby's Star news

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sat Aug 6 20:04:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-06 15:58, Keith Henson wrote:
> PPS. Another question, can you think of any way to tell the difference
> between a real F star and one heated up by reflectors?

Let's see. If we had orbiting stuff, we could estimate the mass and see
whether that, the luminosity and the spectral type matched the main
sequence.

I think rotation can be estimated using doppler-broadening, and that
also gives constraints on mass. A heated smaller star would rotate more
slowly. I think there would also be spectral differences due to how
quickly they evolve and the convective behavior:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-637X/756/2/169

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute