[ExI] Meta question

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:30:43 UTC 2016

Bill, the "better" problem stems from there being two viewpoints, the
individual humans and human genes.

Humans frequently take actions that, if viewed only from their
personal viewpoint are not rational.  But from the viewpoint of genes,
the actions make sense.  See Hamilton and Haldane, "two brothers or
eight cousins."

So to restate your closing line, "it is sometimes rational from the
genes viewpoint for genes to build brain mechanisms that induce humans
to act irrationally from their individual viewpoints."

Millions of years of genetic selection have left humans with
behavioral mechanisms that lie behind such things as suicide bombers.

Least you deplore this too much, it is worth remembering Thermopylae
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae.  The
accomplishments of the Greeks lie at the root of Western culture.  Our
history would have been very different without the suicidal self
sacrifice of King Leonidas of Sparta and his men.

Keith
Best wishes,

Keith