[ExI] Meta question

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 00:11:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

​> ​
> Note that lacking a utility function does not mean you are irrational. It
> is just that you may have messy, probabilistic goals that are not known
> entirely to yourself.

​I agree, and that messiness could be an advantage. If your utility
function is clear and neat as a pin and it's to maximize your obedience to
me, and I tell you to find an even integer greater than 2 that can not be
expressed as the sum of two primes then you could be in big trouble if such
a number does not exist. No intelligent entity has a inflexible goal that
can never be changed, not even the goal for self preservation.

  John K Clark