[ExI] Meta question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 14:14:14 UTC 2016

School is often a hindrance for education. What I meant by moral education
is learning to be virtuous; sometimes by hearing an important lesson like
from the engineer, sometimes by taking a stand like you about the
certification or the capacitance.  anders

Here is a story I just shared with a friend:

When a man came to my house and told me that my dogs had been trashing his
garden and threatened to shoot them, I lit up and told him that I'd burn
his house down.  He turned and walked away while I told him that if he shot
my dogs he'd be in deep shit.

He was about twice my size and looked very threatening, but I paid no
attention to that.  If I had been asked beforehand what I would have done I
am not at all sure that I would have successfully predicted my behavior in
the real situation.  Ditto being in combat.  Would I be a hero, a wimp?  No
idea.  And neither does anyone else.  The guy went home and called the
deputy sheriff on me.  He was really shaken.

Did I act morally?  Questionable, certainly.  But given the situation
beforehand I don't think that I would have predicted that I'd act like I
did.  Far from it.  He really got me angry.  Being angry and combative, or
fearful like in combat, can veto all the ethics you learned from Aristotle
or just by thinking for year and years.

You remember the Kitty Genovese story?  It's about a woman who was killed
on a city street while others watched and did nothing, not even call the
police.  Psych students told that story said that they would have done
something, but many repetitions of that done in experiments on city streets
with hidden cameras show that extremely few people do anything to help.

If a man was sprawled on a street would you assume he was drunk and pass on
by?  Just about everybody does.

Putting in answers on a paper and pencil test of moral thinking and
behavior can be totally uncorrelated with real life behavior.  That's one
big problem with the current favorite:  would you throw a switch to divert
a train and kill one person while saving five?  Not a real situation and
maybe, again, uncorrelated with action done in a real one.

bill w