[ExI] google classroom, was: RE: Meta question

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sat Aug 20 19:52:35 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-20 15:00, spike wrote:
> ...School is often a hindrance for education...
> --Dr Anders Sandberg
>

> Public schools are not allowed to offer ethical or moral guidance in our
> times.
That is actually not true. Try to find any school that says it is OK to
cheat. They might not dress it up in the finery of ethics, but there is
a lot of guidance in how to behave.

> The best part of this curriculum is that it appears to be completely
> open-ended.  None of it depends on a teacher or a class of similarly-aged
> compatriots; the student progresses as fast and as far as ambition, talent
> and drive will take her.
Now that is promising!

The important issue is how well such classrooms can teach how to link
the material. I think a possible problem is that the individual course
materials might be great highways of knowledge, but that there is little
connection between them - after all, if I have charged down a few of
them (say language and math), I might not have great exposure to the
field in between (formal languages, some philosophy, logic) since the
courses in themselves cannot contain much about related fields given
that the student might not have taken the courses that would help bound
them. In the best of all possible educational world there would be tools
for mapping out studies, showing that there is something out there and
what you need to get to it.

Another interesting educational method is of course to start in the
middle and see how that requires understanding the other topics. I found
a book on folkloric superstitions in school, and learned a surprising
amount of geography, history and biology by following up on it.

> It will be fun to watch what this cohort will achieve.
Yup. Cognitive enhancement doesn't have to be biomedical.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute