[ExI] google classroom, was: RE: Meta question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 14:28:34 UTC 2016

 I found a book on folkloric superstitions in school, and learned a
surprising amount of geography, history and biology by following up on it

The important issue is how well such classrooms can teach how to link the
material
anders

Please share the name of that book.

This continuum of sorts served my purposes well:  physics, chemistry,
biology, psychology, sociology, anthropology.   I started with this, noted
the overlaps, biochemistry, social psych, etc., and referred to them
throughout the semester, though mostly as added material to the text, and
usually as untested material.

I did a fair amount of untested presentations.  What that did was to make
them put down their pencils and listen to me take them further than the
text.  I regarded these additives as times for me to really create and make
the material interesting.  So maybe a fourth of the content or more of my
classes was untested by design and constituted what was, to me, the most
important part of the class.  This was a 101 setting.  For upper level they
had to link material on tests, essays, and other papers with examples not
in the book or my presentations.

What a lot of my students told me later in life was that my wanderings were
the most memorable parts of my classes.  I told a lot of stories - some
invented.  To my mind there is nothing like a good story to make points and
to be easy to remember.  Now maybe it can backfire on you:  one student in
his 30s told me that the only thing he remembered about my class was that
if you ate 14 hamburgers the last would not taste as good as the first.
That's another point;  the weirder you get the better the memory.

I have no idea how any of this relates to teaching hard science and math,
but I"ll bet you do.

bill w