[ExI] IoT futurists' predictions - not bad

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:56:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Point 6 says that security for billions of IoT devices will be important.
>
> In my opinion it will be a showstopper. At present banks get hacked
> for millions. If they can't even protect banks then there is no chance
> that they will be successful in protecting our devices. Every device
> will be hackable, transmitting our data, listening to conversations,
> recording through cameras. etc.
>
> The only protection will be not to have any of these devices - Luddites
> Live!

Banks get hacked because they have weak security. Good security isn't hard,
but it doesn't happen by accident or by default.

IoT devices are a challenge because they're cheap and often not easily
patched, if the manufacturer even fixes bugs. I've got some at home, but my
home network is pretty secure: Only one system is reachable via
externally-initiated connections, and only via two protocols. Hacking my
IoT devices isn't impossible--and they could contain malware
out-of-the-box--but it's hard enough that most attackers will move on to
easier targets.

-Dave