[ExI] Tabby's star

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 11 05:35:00 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Will Steinberg
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2016 4:08 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Tabby's star

>…Bill--…  Spike is talking about preventing things from getting as hot as their high-temperature inputs…

That’s part of it.  Heat control is a big deal on satellites, but we have big radiators and lots of cold space everywhere.  What if we amped up the amount of computing being done on orbit and had a lot less cold space to radiate the waste heat?

Still, we need to shift our point of view.  Our perspective is from down here in this gravity well, lots of stored chemical energy everywhere, pleeeeeenty of matter everywhere, more than we can use, but we are hard up for time.  Time is money, and we don’t have much of it, temporary beings that we are.

Shift: what if we had a steady known constant energy input, no way to borrow more, a complete scarcity of matter and plenty of time?  We think in terms of plenty of matter, the ability to convert energy at will and very little time.  Now imagine a scenario with constant fixed energy, plenty of time and never enough matter.

OK assume away all engineering problems: assume fantasy engineering but reality physics.  What does our M-Brain look like now?  Mine all look like big diffuse clouds of tiny particles, where we accept latency in exchange for maximal efficiency in scare matter resources.