[ExI] Tabby's star

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 11 06:51:09 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2016 10:13 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Tabby's star

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 9:35 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> ...  Now imagine a scenario with constant fixed
> energy, plenty of time and never enough matter.

>...Plenty of time?  Great heaping gobs of time?
>...Dive down into the galactic center, where matter is more abundant...
Adrian

Ja, what I meant was the metals.  Regardless of where we go in the universe,
there is a scarcity of metals, a steady known supply of energy and plenty of
time.  To use everything optimally, it will tend toward Dyson swarms which
are almost transparent I think.

Instead of thinking of it as using all available energy (as in the
Kardashev's levels) imagine that the goal is to convert energy optimally
from the point of view of maximizing computing (creation of low entropy
data) given a fixed amount of metal in interplanetary space.  Refocus the
problem on what would be or could be done with sufficiently large available
computing power.  We don't really have this kind of application, but imagine
for some reason the idea is to find as many Mersenne Primes as possible, or
solve chess.  Then we need all the available metal and to convert energy
optimally for that purpose.  I keep getting something that looks like a
Dyson swarm or an M-brain, but it isn't tightly packed, because it cannot
be: it would overheat.