[ExI] Tabby's star

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:30:09 UTC 2016

Chris, these are really good questions.  Sorry I don't have good answers.

Re Dyson spheres, I don't think you want to waste material by changing
it's orbit so we could be looking at spread out former planets.  You
also have sticky problems with crossing orbits unless you stick to the
ecliptic.  These kind of patchy Dyson dots would hardly be visible.  I
am also not sure there is enough material in the solar system to build
something that would entirely shut off the star's light, especially
when you go out to 10 AU or more to get the temperature down.

Many years ago, when he first started comprehending nanotechnology,
Eric went off looking for galaxies with a bite out of them behind a
wave of life that was using all the energy from their stars.  He
didn't find any.  On the other hand, there is this:

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-stars-strange-aliens-contact.html

The real mystery remains, if they exist, why don't they travel?  Is
the attraction of artificial realities a universal trap that keeps
*everyone* from sending out probes?  It didn't seem right to Anders.
I agree with him, discovery of aliens would prompt a difficult
reassessment of such thinking.

Best wishes,

Keith