[ExI] Do digital computers feel was Re: Is the wave function real?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 10:15:48 UTC 2016

On 12 December 2016 at 18:26, Colin Hales <col.hales at gmail.com> wrote:

> *HIDDEN MEME 3: “ **For any human brain you could produce a digital
> simulation that over at least some time span would behave identically to
> the physical instantiation ….” *
>
> This is the bogus belief meme from hell. YES you can produce such a
> simulation. NO it is not any instance of artificial intelligence. Mistaking
> the map for the territory right there. As per my original bell’s inequality
> posting. This is the big one. Mistaking the increasing accuracy of a
> simulation of X in the eyes of a presupposed observer with an instance of
> the function of the original modelled thing. Wrong. Bad mistake. This meme
> has had the entire area of AI beguiled since day 1 of AI. And there is
> absolutely ZERO natural law that says that a computed model of a thing can
> be expected to be literally an instance of the thing. For the brain or
> anything else.

Could you explain what you mean when you say that YES it is possible to
produce a simulation that behaves identically to the physical instantiation
over some time span? What would such a simulation at its best be capable
of? What jobs could it conceivably do, what jobs could it never do?

--
Stathis Papaioannou