[ExI] four seasons tree

Brian Manning Delaney bmd54321 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 19:00:28 UTC 2016

Spike,

Very important topic!!

> How do we data-fy birds?  Bugs?

Well, the birds part has some cool data being gathered right now:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

eBird is permitting observers to quantify more than species and number
observed as time goes on. Right now it's "breeding codes" (nest
building, mating, territorial defense behavior, etc.), sex, approx. age,
and a few other things. But more options will be added soon.

Sweden has an amazing system called the Species Portal:

http://www.artportalen.se/

It enables people to record data on all life, not just birds.

I became a crazy-avid birdwatcher a year ago, and have used both eBird
and ArtPortalen, and have spoken with people running both projects.
There's a problem. This is just an empirical observation. The why of it
I don't know. With ArtPortalen, people tend to report rarities only.
"Cool butterfly! I'll log in to my ArtPortalen account and report it!"
What's needed are systematic observations of ALL butterflies (and not
just butterflies) in a given area in a given period.

With eBird, people tend to make systematic observations, but only of
birds, of course. Perhaps it's just because it's less overwhelming to do
so about birds only, or perhaps the interface is easier. But if we're
going to ditch the ArtPortalen approached, we'd need to create eBee,
eButterfly, eTree, etc.

> Perhaps we could get a jillion citizen scientists doing this kind of automated observation.

The more automated, the better. We here tend to be optimists, and some
reading this might think: "Forget the citizen! Just ask the NSA, GCHQ,
FRA, all 7-11s, etc. to let us run some recognition algorithms on camera
footage and the like. Surely such algorithms will be good enough by 2020
or something."

The people at eBird think high-quality automated recognition of both
images and sound is well over a decade away. And using images from
surveillance cameras will be trickier than using images from an observer
taking a high-quality picture. So we might not have a lot of automation
soon.

Meanwhile, check out eBird. Lots of fun.

Oh, hey, wait. Maybe image-recognition isn't so far away:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/merlinvision201611/

Pardon typos
Brian