[ExI] Do digital computers feel was Re: Is the wave function real?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 23:37:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016  William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> no truth exists in the larger sense.

I wouldn't go that far. I think the continuum hypothesis
​
is either true or it isn't, but whether we will ever know which is a
entirely different question. In 1940 Godel showed that using the simple
innocuous and self evidently true axioms of set theory you can never prove
that a set exists that is larger than the set of integers but smaller than
the set of Real Numbers. And in 1963 Paul Cohen
​
showed those very same axioms can never prove that such a set does not
exist. So we can't prove it exists and we can't prove it doesn't. So we're
sorta stuck. And we can't just add it, or its negation, as an additional
axiom because neither it nor its
negation is simple or self evidently true, and adding an axiom that may be
false would be about as far from innocuous as you can get.

 John K Clark