[ExI] four seasons tree

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:33:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I have mentioned before (patience with me please) how cool it would be if
> we could figure out some kind of systematic means of recording into some
> kind of web-based collective database or some means of recording
> systematically nature observations.

Sigh. Spike, you try my patience. :-) Every time you bring this up I
mention the National Phenology Network, a well-organized program that is
already doing exactly this:

  https://www.usanpn.org/

>From <https://www.usanpn.org/about>:
---
USA National Phenology Network

*What we do:* The USA-NPN developed *Nature's Notebook*
<https://www.usanpn.org/natures_notebook>, a project focused on collecting
standardized ground observations of phenology by researchers, students and
volunteers. We also foster phenology communities of practice, and the
development of tools and techniques to support a wide range of decisions
made routinely by citizens, managers, scientists, and others, including
decisions related to allergies, wildfires, water, and conservation.

*Our mission:* The USA National Phenology Network serves science and
society by promoting broad understanding of plant and animal phenology and
its relationship with environmental change.  The Network is a consortium of
individuals and organizations that collect, share, and use phenology data,
models, and related information.

*Our vision:* The USA National Phenology Network encourages people of all
ages and backgrounds to observe and record phenology as a way to discover
and explore the nature and pace of our dynamic world. The Network makes
phenology data, models, and related information freely available to empower
scientists, resource managers, and the public in decision-making and
adapting to variable and changing climates and environments.

*How we're organized:* The efforts of the USA-NPN are organized and
directed by the staff of the National Coordinating Office
<https://www.usanpn.org/about/staff>. We are currently working to establish
a Steering Group that will provide input on the direction of the USA-NPN
and on activities of the National Coordinating Office. The activities of
the USA-NPN are funded by several organizations, including the U.S.
Geological Survey, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, National Park Service, The
University of Arizona and the National Science Foundation.
---

Anyone can join and the data is available free from <
https://www.usanpn.org/data>.

They don't seem to have a lot of data collection automated, but for storing
and distributing data I don't see any reason not to use their
infrastructure.

-Dave